Sunday, August 13, 2006

Earrings

I did something today I haven't done in over six years. I wore earrings!

In my late teens, I realized that I was allergic to my earrings. My ears stayed sore when I wore them, and they always itched. The last couple years I tried different metals: stainless steel, hypoallergenic, gold, but with no luck. I had several people suggest that I try gold, and I was very disappointed when I immediately had an itchy reaction.

I talked to my mom about it and realized an important fact. My mom's allergic to gold and bad enough that she can't even wear her wedding ring. She suggested I try silver.

While I was in Salt Lake I bought a simple pair of sterling silver studs. I decided today would be a good day to try them. And they worked great! The only soreness I experienced was from poking the earrings through holes that hadn't been used in a long time.

Olivia was fascinated by the earrings. She stared at them for a while, and then proceeded to ask me all kinds of questions. Do those hurt? Do they tickle? Can you feel them? Did it hurt when you put them in? I thought it was cute. And funny that we had never had this conversation before.

No comments:

Post a Comment