Friday, June 9, 2006

Crab Hunting

Tomorrow is our 6 year anniversary. We used to go on our annual trip to Red Lobster to celebrate until I found out that something in their food gives me headaches. My sister said it could be a metaphor for marriage. It starts out really great and all you end up with is a big ole headache.

So now we've started buying snow crab legs and cooking up our own little feast. There are only two places I know of around here that you can get crab legs- Floyd's Meat Market and Big Bayou Smokehouse. I tried to call Big Bayou first since it is the closest to us. Unfortunately the call was met with an 'I'm sorry that number is no longer in service' message. No such luck there.

Floyd's Meat Market has been around for quite some time. It's where my parents would buy the snow crab and shrimp for our traditional Christmas supper every year while we stationed at LRAFB. They've moved shop a couple of times but it was no problem finding their phone number on the internet. Thank you Yahoo! Yellow Pages.

I called Floyd's and they confirmed that they had crab legs and that they looked good. Ok, great, I'll see you in a little while. Unfortunately Floyd's is in Sherwood which means a 45 minute drive on a good traffic day.

While we were down that way, I decided to make a stop at the mall and exchange a pair of underwear at VS that were the wrong size (too small, not that you needed to know). Olivia was so excited to go to the mall because she loves the escalators so I promised her we could go up and down them a few times. We also stopped at Gymboree since they were having a buy two get one free sale- you know me and free stuff- and we ended up getting Olivia two dresses and a skirt for a total of $20.69.

So I make my way over to Floyd's Meat Market. I go in and ask for 4 pounds of snow crab legs. The guy looks at me funny and goes to get some out of the case. When he comes back he tells me they only have a pound left. But I called this morning and you had some. Well a man came in about 5 minutes ago and bought the last 15 pounds we had. Damn escalator rides. If only I had been a little earlier. Apparently there's been some kind of run on snow crab today. They've gotten three calls this morning for that specific product. Great! And just in time for our anniversary. They say they are supposed to get more crab in the morning. They want me to call and let them know if I want some. Because calling has been so effective thus far. *sigh*

I stopped at Kroger on the way home hoping they might have an unknown seafood selection that I didn't know about. All they had was the boxed stuff that is overpriced and not too tasty. So I came home and made the call to Floyd's to let them know I'm coming for crab legs tomorrow and I want 5 pounds. Do you want my name? No, we should have plenty. Yeah, that's what I thought before. Crab hunting is hard work.

No comments:

Post a Comment