Sunday, May 26, 2013

One potato, two potato

Every year since Jody and I got married, I have tried to plant a garden. It starts off good and then goes down hill, usually around the time I go to Nebraska for the 4th of July. I swore I was going to plant an entire garden of sugar snap peas this years because they are the only thing we actually harvested last year. Well I haven't gotten around to planting anything this year. Call it being busy, call it laziness, call it admitting defeat- this year I just haven't got around to it. A month or so ago Jody mentioned that there were potato plants growing in the woods. He showed me where several potato plants had popped up in a pile of leaves we had dumped when we cleared them from our yard. Yesterday we decided to go see if the pototoes were ready to harvest. Jody started digging and out came some good size potatoes. Sawyer soon got in on the action and started pulling them up too. We ended up getting a bowl full. I've never seen fresh potatoes pulled from a garden so I was excited. Now I'm thinking maybe we should just dump seeds in the piles of composting leaves in our woods. It looks like they may not need my TLC to survive.

No comments:

Post a Comment