Tuesday, October 3, 2006

Higher education

Olivia's HIPPY teacher came today today. Her teacher is taking a college algebra course this semester and before she left she mentioned that she had a test next week and that she's been struggling. I told her if she needs any help to let me know. I may need to study the book a little bit, but I've always been pretty good at math.

This got me thinking: maybe I should go back to school. I had planned on working on my Masters when Olivia was 6 months old. "You need to get to work on your Masters, " my dad said right after I earned my Bachelors Degree "Or you'll never get it done." Olivia turned out to be a very difficult baby so going back to school wasn't an option at the time. Here it is 4+ years later and it still hasn't happened.

The thought of going back to school frightens me. Something about having children made my brain turn to mush and where in the world would I find the time and the energy to study? I know why my dad warned me not to stop. All that great education I am still paying for is slowly slipping away and after all that hard work!

So I thought about taking a college class. I don't know what class I would want to take. Maybe one of those adult education classes like quilting or oil painting. Is it sad that it makes me sad that I now fit in that category? Maybe a science course like Basic Anatomy, one step closer to becoming a nurse if I could just get over my fear of dead people. Any class would do. Anything that would require me to use my brain for something other than remembering where Paxton took off his shoes or figuring out how long the half gallon of milk will last before I need to go to the grocery store. And what's that say knowledge is power? or is it money is power? Anyway, you get my point.

1 comment:

  1. I get the point. I've always enjoyed going to school and taking classes. After kids it just doesn't really seem possible. But I hate that I feel like my brain is turning to mush. :(

    ReplyDelete