Tuesday, July 18, 2006

On the road again

We are getting ready to go to Salt Lake City tomorrow. I haven't been back since October of 2000. I am so excited to see the mountains, to see my family, to see my friends.

I can't help but think back to nine years ago when I found out I had been accepted to BYU. I hadn't been to Utah since I was 10 years old but the idea of BYU felt safe to me. I knew it was time to leave home and spread my wings. I spent the summer working to save money for my freshman year of college.

I can still remember the way I felt when we drove over the Rocky Mountains, and I caught my first glimps of the valley. I remember how big it looked and how I suddenly felt scared. What had I gotten myself into? I didn't even know my family that lived there. I didn't know anything about BYU. I didn't know where I was.

My parents raised us to be independent. If it wasn't for that, I don't know if I could would have made it. I remember standing outside my grandma's house and telling my mom goodbye. She gave me $20 for food and said we'd be in touch. Man that feels so long ago.

Going to BYU was one of the greatest decisions I have ever made. When I think back to my time there I feel a kind of homesickness. I miss my friends, the atmosphere and the carefree years I spent there. Now I am so grown up with bills that need to paid and kids that need my constant attention. When did I grow up? Was it really so long ago...

No comments:

Post a Comment