Tuesday, November 7, 2006

My Civic Duty

I voted! I now have the right to complain when things don't go the way I think they should. My day started out with the drama of not knowing where to go vote. The County Clerk sent me a postcard in March saying they had changed my voting location, and I had no idea where it was. First General Baptist Church is kind of general since I live in the Bible Belt. They could have included an address. Thanks to my mother's expert use of the internet (you know I love you ma) she found what we believed to be the location. So I loaded up the kids and headed to vote. So how do you explain voting to a four year old? I tried for the 15 minutes it took to get to the voting location and I didn't get anywhere. Turns out we found the right place. Once I got inside I headed for the line for people with last name K-Z. I guess I was going by my maiden name. I don't know why since I've been married for 6+ years. The old ladies had a good laugh over that one. Once I got registered and in line to wait for a voting machine, Paxton decided to act like a heathen. When it was my turn to vote, Paxton became fascinated with the electronic voting machine. He was ready to start pushing buttons. I picked him up, and he started kicking and wiggling. I let him down, and he headed back to the machine. So I picked him up again, and he started kicking and squirming again. This happened several times. Then I put him down and he ran around the machine and was going to come out the other side. The only thing is the machines are electronic so they have a cord where they are plugged in. All at once I hear about 5 old ladies yell "NO!" so I hurried and snatched Paxton up before he could do any damage. He squirmed some more and I put him down, and he went running across the voting center. I ran and caught him and tried to hurry and vote while wrangling him. Finally a nice election worker lady came and took him and held him while I finished voting. By the time I finished I was tired. I need a nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment